Tuesday, October 11, 2011

INVOKING THE MORRIGAN ~A Book Review~





Celtic Lore & Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess: Invoking the Morrigan by Stephanie Woodfield

 First off, I have to say that The Morrigan, in the guise of Morgan le Fay (Morganna), is my matron goddess so I may be a little biased in this review.

"The Morrigan" was both refreshing and a delight to read. Magic, shapeshifting, moving rituals and invocations, and history of  the goddesses that stand behind the mask of The Morrigan, this book is full of insightful information on the Dark Queen of Celtic mythology. Horse, Raven, Wolf, and even a Tree are some of the forms that you can shapeshift into in the guided meditations. Macha(MA-ka), Badb(BAH-v), Anu(AHN-new) and Nemain(NEE-vuhn) are just a few of the goddesses you meet.  Of course my favorite sections of the book are when Stephanie Woodfield speaks of Morgan Le Fay and Avalon, Land of the Dead. I also like that some of the spells are a little dark, for what would a book on The Dark Goddess be without a few "grey" spells. The chapter on The Phantom Queen is about death and how to honor the Ancestors. This was a very touching chapter and one of my favorites.

I recommend Celtic Lore & Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess to anyone interested in The Morrigan and other Dark Goddesses of Celtic lore. This book is not only for women, I think men will enjoy it as well. It's refreshing to see a Goddess book that is not based on Women's Mysteries(not that there is anything wrong with those kinds of books, I own a few).


Happy Reading, Vivienne

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review...always looking for new, and different, pagan books!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin

    You're welcome. I hope you enjoy the book. Any new pagan books you can recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this review. I was just looking at this book for my Kindle this week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary

    I have it on my Kindle. To get to the contents you have to start at the cover and page forward. I didn't think it had a table of contents page until I did that. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to check for this in the Kindle store!

    I hope Gypsy will do fine with her wee operation. I will say a little prayer for her.

    Love,
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi LuLu

    Thank you for the prayers for Gypsy. Prayers going out for madeline as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barry

    I like the cover as well, but i like the cover for The Witches Book of the Dead even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you found a gem. It's always wonderful to find a source of information that is blended with a deep fondness/love of a goddess.
    I'm still seeking mine...

    Enjoyed reading your review

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melissa

    Thank you. I hope you find your source someday.

    Blessings, V.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vivienne, thank you for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower! I'm now following your blog also.

    And, thank you for the book review, I'm always looking for new goddess books. The chapter on The Phantom Queen sounds particularly interesting. Now I'm off to get it on my Kindle!

    Blessings, Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vivienne, this book sounds amazing! I have added it to my book list! Thanks so much! Blessings my friend ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Victoria

    You are very welcome, and thank you for becoming a follower of my blog.

    I hope you enjoy the book as much as I do.\

    Blessings, V.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Magic Love Crow

    I wonder if your book list is as long as mine. I swear it gets longer and longer every week.

    Blessings my friend, V.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! This sounds very very good! :) I must check out the book. Yay! I so appreciate book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Auroran Lauriel

    Thank you. I hope you enjoy the book.

    Blessings, V.

    ReplyDelete