Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Book Review: A Deed Without A Name

Book found here.






A Deed Without A Name: Unearthing the Legacy of Traditional Witchcraft by Lee Morgan is one of the best books on witchcraft that I have read in a long time. I could not put this book down and finished it within hours. This wonderful gem of a book is not about Wicca, it is about old world witchcraft. What some may call Sabbatical Witchcraft or Traditional Witchcraft. This is the witchcraft that Isobel Gowdie of witchcraft lore practiced.

Chapters like Marked as Other and Riding the Beast take you through the history of European witchcraft. Using excerpts from the witch trials Lee Morgan dissects the material to give her/his interpretation.

Scattered about the pages of this tome are exercises and example of ways to find your demon lover, ways to take witch flight, and how to discover your fetch beast. The sections on Calling to the Devil and A Rite of Necromancy are both very intriguing. One of my favorite chapters is The Bestiary. Many of the beasts listed are from the un-Seelie court.  The Appendix using planetary correspondences is very useful. I was very pleased to see the lists of "beasts" to use for each day of the week.

If you are looking for a book on Traditional Witchcraft that is not Wicca related, then this is the book  for you. It is for those who seek the "darker" side of the craft. I will be reading A Deed Without A Name many times.


Additional links

Moon Books

Lee Morgan


Happy Reading... Viv

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. I downloaded a free sample. Besides being able to adjust the print, that's one of the good things about Kindle, you can try before you buy.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful book. I have it on Kindle as well but seem to like it better actual book form. Some books are like that with me. I think you will like this one.

      Blessings...Viv

      Delete
  2. Viv, I have a Kindle, too, but I know what you mean about some books just being better in their actual book form.

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops! I forgot to say I rarely read books, unless they're fiction, about witchcraft because I was lucky enough to be raised in the magical traditions of my Italian Nonna (Strega), my Cherokee grandmother, my Oglala Sioux grandfather and my Irish Godmother. They passed on a path that works for me and my descendants, but it's an odd one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hhm. I am fascinated by witchcraft, but I tend to be dubious when it comes down to mumbo jumbo like demons and familiars. That's fun mythological stuff, but I think it distracts from what was probably the real history.

    "Witch" has always been a term applied to the religion of the people over the hill, and the spooky accounts of what those people over the hill were supposed to be getting up to. I suspect that the actual indigenous religions were much more about fulfilling practical needs, than spooky hocus pocus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds fantastic! I think it would be a very interesting read!
    I am back from having computer problems! Yepeeeee ;o)
    Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you and yours a very Happy Halloween, Vivienne! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope that you and yours had a great Halloween dear Lady Moss....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope that all is well with you and yours....
    a pleasant evening to you as well dear Lady Moss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi V, miss visiting you in blogland...just popping in to say hi and wishing you magic and blessings always!
    V~

    ReplyDelete